Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Mature Fashion: Supporting the Skin

Hello All;

We all know that the skin in the largest organ in the body, so it stands to reason that a diet that nourishes the skin will also be a diet that nourishes the body.  While researching articles and other information on natural skin care, I realized that I own a "nutritarian book" I bought two years ago to help control my diabetes that corresponded directly to the information I was digesting for improved skin care.   The book is called the Blood Sugar Solution 10 Day Detox Diet authored by Dr. Mark Hyman.  I will be re-reading the book immediately, concentrating on the similarities that we really are what we eat (or at least our complexion is ). I just completed reading a post for improving one's skin that re-iterated the same information in Dr. Hyman's book on diabetes control and prevention.

I have now read two postings in the site About.com (style menu) by the multi-cultural beauty editor, Gerrie Summers.  I understand she has also been involved in writing articles for health publications (Google her for the references, etc. ) One gives some recipes for making some basic home cleansers, masks, and moisturizers that I am certainly going to try.  I just read another article advising complete skin detoxification from the inside to the out.  Basically, the diet is the same (eating salmon or sardines twice a week, drinking some green tea once a day, drinking some warm water with lemon every day, eating plenty of fresh dark greens(at least two cups) every day, limiting animal based proteins, eating organic produce, plant based Omega 3s such as sunflower seeds, flax, cruciferous vegetable such as brocolli, cabbage, etc, drinking enough water).  She also made the same recommendations for detoxing Epsom salt baths, dry brushing of the skin, and a minute of cold water when completing a shower,  I recommend every woman who really wants to maximize her skin care to read both the book and the articles. (I don't know more than I have said in this post about Gerrie Summers, but I have read all of Dr. Hyman's books, viewed all his presentations on PBS, and know he is well respected in both the medical and the diet and nutrition fields.)

The more I am studying the cosmetics that are being hyped by all fashion media (much of it contradictory, by the way) and discover what little regulation surrounds the use of chemicals or redress in case of actual harm to the user, the more convinced I am in making my own cosmetics if I cannot find a trustworthy and reliable supplier of safe cosmetics. (no preservative, chemicals, etc. that are banned in the manufacture of cosmetics in most other  countries).  I need to know more about the Environmental Working Group's (EWG)  "EWG Verified Program" to determine their abilities as a source.  Every singe cosmetic I own contains one or more of the five known most toxic ingredients!!  I would love to find something I could use because it is inconvenient making my own!

Weigh in!!  I weighed in at 133.9 Monday morning!!  That means an actual loss of 1/2 a pound in my original goal to lose those last 10 pounds!! I have been wanting to do this for the last five or six years....9 1/2 to go ..(I really have lost over two pounds because I actually weighed a bit more than I thought when I began).  I really am beginning to feel an accomplishment now...thanks, Tonya, Ginny, Ali!!  knowing you are on the same track also helps me to keep working towards my goal.

.........................Geneva............Rockmyages@aol.com......

No comments:

Post a Comment