Monday, March 14, 2016

Mature Fashion: "Safe" Skin Care

Good Day, All Fashionistas and Stylinistas,


Healthy skin care has consumed me since my last post to this blog; I really had no idea that there was so little consumer protection against what is happening in the cosmetics and body care industries! I just received my latest copy of "InStyle" which also mentions some of the concerns; (April, 2016; page 234) about the parabens, phthalates, sulfate, and triclosan mentioned in my last post.


Now, before someone says, "I only use soap and water, just like my grandmother", some of us are old enough to remember there was lye leached from ashes in some of those soaps! The point is, commercial "natural" (remember, raw oil from the ground is 'natural') does not mean it is either safe for long term use nor good for you.  

As mentioned in earlier posts, I am experimenting with several home made cleansers, masks, and moisturizing creams; in this post I will provide you with the mixtures I have found that work well for me and my type of hair and skin; they may or may not work well for you.

I have very dry, frizzy, hard to manage and thin (an thinning) hair that I bleach out approximately every 3 weeks and use a toning shampoo (shimmer lights) each time I shampoo and a professional grade after shampoo conditioner  (L'Oreal Feria) that I absolutely swear by and can only be purchased at a beauty supply store (so I have been told, and I can't find it anywhere else).  Both products are loaded with the parabens sulfates, etc. that are of concern to me.  I also use a texturizing lotion called Re-Works by Paul Mitchell that has 31 un-pronouncible (by me) ingredients and another dozen or so that I do not understand the purpose.or safety considerations (I remember the 1000+ plus ingredients banned in other countries but are common in our products).  I use a very small amount (about the size of 2 or 3 grains of rice) of organic virgin coconut oil every day on my dry hair and brush it through the strands.  I love it, and if I forget it even one day, my hair suffers.  I have heard that I can get the same effect from the coconut oil if I use it as my conditioning shampoo.  I am going to try it today.  I have no idea what I can do for the toning shampoo or the texturizing lotion (any input would be really appreciated!)

I am using a mixture of three parts plain lowfat yogurt (the same I use in my food recipes-whole milk would probably be better) mixed with 1 part runny honey. I mix a small batch, and store it in the refrigerator.  When ready to cleanse, I apply a dollop to my hands to warm it up and smooth it onto my face.  I leave it on until it dries and rinse my face thoroughly with a warm wet washcloth.  So far, I have been using Ponds cleanser (also has parabens) to remove my make-up if I am wearing any on my skin before I do this double cleanse.  I am still experimenting, but I find this works better than any thing I have so far tried.  By the way, I picked up this recipe somewhere on a blog that offered some home made recipes.  I had to modify a bit, and I do not remember the name of the blog I got or I would share.  I went out to the web but I could not find the one that had the recipe I remember.  I really want to move away from as many commercial products as I can unless I can find ones that I know to be safe.

I have tried several oil cleaning methods, but I find (so far) they all clog my pores, including coconut oil and vitamin E oils.  I am still experimenting;  I think most women would have to find just the right combination for her skin.  There are several products that are expensive that are reported to be totally safe, etc. but I need a less expensive alternative if I can find one.    I have heard that Physician's Formula products are relatively safe, but I have never tried them. Obviously, I am going to check the products (and ingredients) out also.

On another note..it is weigh in day and I have lost another pound!!  Of course, I still need to lose another .6 just to get to where I thought I was when I started!!..but, I can now say I need to lose just the ten pounds which was my original goal..Wish me luck......

No comments:

Post a Comment