Thursday, November 19, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking "Sleep"

I need it, don't I?.....
Hello Fashionistas & Stylinistas;



Today we are going to discuss sleep and the amount we need to "rock" anything.  If you are a young woman you can recover from  a certain amount of abuse to your mind and body by staying up almost all night.  You can also use a bit of under eye concealer, a splash of cold water on your face, and look like you had your usual eight hours.  Not so when you reach a certain age. (effects do vary from person to person).  In addition, there is a mountain of evidence that cognitive decay is very much affected by lack of sleep.


It is normal for our sleep patterns to change as we age; most people's do. We may have trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, and have more interruptions during our sleep.  What is even more important the REM sleep patterns that are so necessary for our health are also diminished.  Many times this may occur because of side effects of necessary medicines that have been prescribed to us because of health conditions.

Hopefully, anyone with severe problems in sleeping is already seeking treatment from a doctor.  Here, however, are a few tips I use from articles I have read and  found to be somewhat effective when I am able (or motivated enough) to use them. 

Of course, we all know we should not drink caffeinated beverages or alcohol, or eat a meal  for several hours before bed, but drinking a soothing hot drink such as chamomile or pure mint teas is reported to be calming.  Drinking cherry juice is also reported to be effective, however, acidity and sugar content must be considered.  There are some reports that drinking warmed milk at the same sitting as drinking cherry juice increases the benefits of the melatonin in the cherry juice and the calcium in the milk. (wasn't  drinking warm milk an old fashioned nightcap?)  Personally, I never drink juice because of the sugar content, and rarely drink milk for its fat and sugar content because I am diabetic and I don't need that sugar content just before bed.  I do take melatonin in pill form occasionally, a practice endorsed by my doctor.  I am trying to work more cherries in my diet to get the natural ingredient.  I also take a high grade magnesium tablet and the ubiquinol (CQ10), also endorsed by my doctor.  AS ALWAYS, consult your own doctor before taking any supplement or following any diet.  As you know, inter-drug conflicts can occur with most drugs, herbs, supplements, and certain foods.  Just because my doctor believes the above regimen is safe for me does not mean it is safe for you!

I believe very much in keeping away from television, computer, and other high intensity artificial light just before bed. (I tape the late evening shows and watch them the next day, if possible). I do believe that playing environmental and other calming music helps me to sleep earlier and better. (Because I have now made this statement in writing to you, I trust I will be more consistent about this!)

Other treatments such as aromatherapy, over the counter herbal tablets are highly recommended by some, using a rocking chair or glider, if you have one;   I have yet to try them all. One other no-no for getting deep sleep is not to let your animals sleep with you; I have two indoor cats and they do NOT take kindly to this suggestion.  Fortunately, they don't like my restlessness, so they don't crowd me (very much).

I do try to do my exercise routine (when I force myself to do the routines) earlier in the day. There have been some studies that report the exercise in the morning helps relieve stress during the day, thereby relieving anxiety at night.  I am also trying to get into a regular yoga session every evening before my "power down". (Ditto to the posting statement!)

"Power Down" is a routine I read about a few weeks ago.  The routine suggests one hour before you plan on going to bed.  In other words, turn on calming music, perform any last minute "have to" chores for 15 to 20 minutes (relieves mind of thinking about them), spend 30 minutes getting ready for bed (removing make-up, brushing teeth, un-dressing, etc.) and the remaining 10 minutes just meditating and listening to nothing but your breathing.

I am not sure how successful I will be, but I am giving it a try because I know I am not getting enough sleep.  It is recommended 8-10 hours; I have trouble getting six hours.  I am hoping to force myself into an acceptable routine while I am doing the research for this blog.

Remember, if you look good, you feel good; if you don't feel good, it is hard to have the energy to look good.  Getting enough rest is vital to "rocking" age.  This is especially important to all of us "mature women'

Sleep well this evening..........Happy styling today.................Geneva








No comments:

Post a Comment