Thursday, November 12, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking "Diet"

Hello Fashionistas and Stylinistas;

Let's begin with general health;



I am lucky enough to have only diabetes type 2 as a current health condition; I say "lucky" because although I can never "reverse" it (no matter the ads), I can at least control my numbers and minimize the side effects.  Thanks to Public Television (PBS), I discovered a few very reputable doctors who have written authoritative books, etc. on diets that really do help.  Dr. Mark Hyman, (Blood Sugar Solution,) Dr. Joel Fuhrman, (End of Diabetes), Dr. Robert Lustig (Fat Chance & Sweet Revenge), and Dr. Steven Masley ( Heart Tune-up & Ten Years Younger).  I have watched their PBS shows several times, and have even read the books.  Most nutritionists I have met know who they are and recommend their diets.


Now, before I go on, I have never met any of these doctors, nor do they know who I am.  I receive absolutely no compensation of any sort from or on behalf of them, but I cannot begin to tell you how glad I am that PBS introduced me to their work.  I do not follow to the letter every thing they advise me to do, but I do as much as fits in with my life style.  I truly do feel much better and my health is great compared to most of my friends and acquaintance and family members.

I do have a horrible genetics history (father and aunt died before age 60) concerning cancer, heart disease, and diabetes, all of which run rampant in my family.  I try to make sure I remain reasonably heart healthy, although I refuse (at this time, anyway) to continue to take the statins that have been prescribed to me for many years.  I had an angiogram about ten years ago that was clear; I consistently run high numbers with medicine, diet that limits animal products, and reasonable exercise.  I refuse to take more medicine, especially since there have been repeated multiple studies that show there is only a correlation between heart disease and cholesterol rather than a causal effect.  

As a result of the PBS shows, purchase of the books of the authors, and repeated use of the suggestions, I have become a "nutritarian" treating my food as medicine.  I do take a single Metformin table, a low dose Lisinopril, and a low dose thyroid medicine but use lifestyle to "Rock My Age". I try to eat no more than 10 servings per week of any animal product, and try as much as possible to eat organic foods.  I buy no packaged or prepared foods except high grade whole grain breads, and the occasional Cosco organic frozen Ravioli.  My numbers and health has never been better.

Probably more information here than you want or need; I only post it to demonstrate how seriously I believe that just a little change here and there can really help provide the quality of life we all want in our older age; qualify as I will be 73 in April.

Please share with me your tips and suggestions to use diet to help "rock my age"; and share with others who might benefit.

Sincerely................Geneva.

1 comment:

  1. I will be looking into the books you mentioned. 6 months ago I was not sleeping well at all. With a few simple changes in my diet the puunds hae started coming off giving me more energy for exercise as a result with both of these I am now sleeping better also.

    ReplyDelete