Monday, November 16, 2015

Mature Fashion: Rocking Exercise

Good Morning, Fashionistas and Stylinistas:


Lets face it-there is no way you can "rock your age" unless you have some degree of physical fitness. Although this statement is true for persons of any age, I believe it is absolutely necessary for a mature women. We simply cannot have any "quality of life" without it.  As mentioned in my initial post, I am not giving any form of medical advice as to what specifics one should take with health, but passing on information that has been helpful to keep me looking and feeling my best; to "rockmyages", so to speak.

I am going to pass on three routines that I believe have helped me maintain my physical fitness adequately for the past several years. 

The first rountine I call my "housework aerobics".  I simply combine many of my regular household chores with light exercise.  When I am cleaning my kitchen counters, rinsing dishes in the sink, cleaning bathrooms, etc., I make sure I am marching in step rather than just standing.  I try and do this for any activity that requires me to stand in place.  I try to use a feather duster every day to lightly sweep over surfaces.  I am stretching and lifting my arms while keeping my home dust free.  I also vacuum at least twice a week (I have cats) and use the motions to "keep me movin"".

The second principle I apply to myself ; I try to limit any sit down activity to no more than 20 minutes before rising and moving my body for at least five minutes before resuming any sit down activity. (you can always do this when watching television; there is never more than 20 minutes before at least a few minutes worth of commercials, usually at least 5 minutes of mulltiple commercials!!)_

I really believe in this exercise routine; One of the most effective and easiest workouts I have seen was published by AARP, called the AARP 15-minute Workout.  It is the only really regular fitness routine I have been able to stick with. (I am trying to improve, but I am not there yet-future posts!!-another reason for me to write this blog).  

It is a quick interval combination of six exercises combining body weight exercises and blood pumping aerobic activity.  It has been the only one I have been able to stick to and that I can fit into my daily schedule on a regular basis. Each of these exercises have 3 repetitions, exercise increasing with each repetition.  If you cannot complete all of them, give yourself permission to stop at any time and/or not do all of them.  Remember, any number you perform is better than not doing any.

1.  High Step-March in place.  On every fifth step, lift one of your legs up high (I always assume they mean to alternate). first set for 15 seconds, second set for 45 seconds, and final set for 60 seconds.  Rest for 30 seconds after each set.

2.  Presses-Hold a soup can (or light weights) in each hand.  Press them straight over your head and bring them back down.. 6 reps, then 9 reps, then 12 reps with 30 seconds rest in between sets.

3.  Squats-Squat down as though you were sitting on a chair.  Lift and repeat. 8 reps, then 12 reps, then 15 reps.  Rest 30 seconds in between each set of reps.

4.  Walk in place-15 seconds; 30 seconds; 45 seconds with 30 seconds rest in between.

5.  Toe Touch-Bend forward at the waist.  Reaching for your toes, hold and release.  Try and hold for 30 seconds each of 3 times.

6. Crunches-Lie on your back, feet on the floor with knees bent.  Bring your shoulders off the floor; hold and release. Hold for 15 seconds each of 3 times. 

NOTE:  If you are doing this routine where you can't lay on the floor, you can do a modified one sitting in a stable chair using your elbows to reach knees. Consult and exercise guru for exact details. I am no fitness expert.

According to the article, performance of this routine regularly will build a solid base of general and basic physical fitness. As always, consult your health professional before engaging in any physical routine. (disclaimer,you know..I have been a business professional for many years prior to my "retirement"). I did find one site I really thought were helpful for mature women and men: Greatist.com.

I have to admit; I hate regular conventional exercise programs.  I have never successfully been able to attend regular gym classes.  I dislike the feeling of failure if I can't keep up with the rather public routine, and I don't like the whole dressing, showering, etc. environments; I also do not like the frequency of infections, etc. that seem to proliferate regularly at these establishments

I have found the only way I can really "keep moving" (number one rule for a diabetic according to my doctor) is to incorporate continuous physical actiivity into my daily routines. I have a part time job at a patio furniture store; the nature of the work requires one to be somewhat active and perform physical activities on a regular basis. I have reached an age where it is difficult to do too many days in a row, and I cannot perform all of the physical activity I could a few years ago.  I have decreased work hours to the level I can comfortably handle, and probably will not remain in that work for many more years.  I do wish to keep it as long as I am able because of the enforced physical work, and I love the interaction with my customers and co-workers.  I also try and do chores around my home that are commensurate with my physical abilities.  It is not that I dislike office work; I love it, but I am living proof of the dangers of spending too much time behind the desk.  I am working right now on regulating the time I sit at the computer writing this blog and its associated activities.

I am searching out easy routines for mature women and other suggestions to help us feel good physically as we are living our decades.  My next personal goal is to find a simplified stretch program that works for me.  Please send any suggestions to rockmyages@aol.com or comment directly to the blog (if you can; some of my readers have said there are problems getting on without divulging private information, etc.

BTW, the picture in the upper left hand corner is me doing a few leg lifts while waiting for a friend to attend to some business.  I try to take advantage of opportunity to keep myself healthy.

Remember to read "Rockmyages.blogspot.com" and "Rockmyrole.blogspot.com" for new styling tips and general fashion information.......Have a great day...........Geneva







No comments:

Post a Comment