Thursday, November 26, 2015

Mature Fashion: Holiday Fitness

Hello Fashionistas and Stylinistas;


The holiday season is the time we face the most challenging obstacles to our health; at best the season is stressful, we often are presented with far too many edible temptations, we may drink more fattening beverages, and the weather is uncomfortable for performing our usual physical activities. In addition, we are faced with guilt because we succumb to the temptations, which in itself, is bad for our health!!

In my "illusion diet", we use our garments themselves to create an illusion of weight loss (or gain).  That will suffice generally if you do not gain over 1-3 pounds. (more than that, the garments may not fit).  Considering the average American eats between 3,500-5000 calories on Thanksgiving day alone, it is important to find ways to limit or prevent excessive indulgence on these temptation wrought occasions.
Step Machine plus Hallmark

I am not going to bore you with all the helpful hints (eat before going to the party, only eat vegetables as appetizers, no seconds, etc.) Any or all of these suggestions work-we all know that, but too often it is difficult to resist, especially if we are drinking any alcoholic beverage at the time).  I can only share with you some little tricks I have found that work for me.

I break up my festivities on a major holiday; I always eat a rather hearty breakfast with more protein and fiber than usual on these days. I make it festive and I find that the more substantial breakfast keeps me from getting too hungry before the main holiday meal.  I do drink a lot of water and tea with the meal.  l do munch on fruits and veggies liberally before leaving my home.  I  do find this is a pleasant way to feel indulgent for far less calories.  If I do this, I find it rather easy to have just a small portion of all the goodies.  If offered a cocktail or wine with appetizers before dinner, I usually drink sparkling water with lemon or lime during this time to cut down on both calories and temptation. (I find sparkling water, especially with a big of juice or lemon or lime gives me a festive feeling).  I try to limit myself to one glass of wine during dinner because, for me, I know I am likely to eat more if I have more wine. I always make sure I drink two glasses of water for every one glass of wine.  It means going to the bathroom a bit more, but it is worth it. I t makes it easier to remember most medicines you take regularly do not want you to consume much alcohol.

 All of this assumes you are leaving your home for the occasion; at our ages, many of us are hosting the dinner, etc.  If so, it is a double edged sword.  You have the additional temptations of sampling the goodies before serving, and time constraints that can make it more difficult. The only thing I have found that works for me is to make as much ahead of time as possible. Spreading the calorie overload from sampling is easier (for me) over several days prior to the big dinner.  I also try to send as many high fat/high sugar left overs as possible home with guests. I freeze as much of remaining left overs as soon as possible.

More importantly, to me at least; I try to not sit for long periods of time during the day.  I want to keep my metabolism up.  It is also a great time to bond with family members you might not see frequently.  I usually find someone is game for a walk around the block soon after dinner; I try to include standing in conversations, rather than just sitting.  If you are the hostess, you probably are getting your exercise in "housework Aerobics"!

I have a party to attend next weekend that I know will have almost all the same tempting choices as Thanksgiving dinner. I am going to try to practice diligently each of my own tips; my sugar level was up a bit this morning just from sampling my own cooking and less exercise because of the bitterly cold and rainy weather. (hence the stepper)..not complaining!  We need the rain desperately. We would then have snow as it is expected to freeze tonight. (we get snow about once every twenty-five years).

In the mean time, if you have the time, happy styling........Geneva...Rockmyages@aol.com


No comments:

Post a Comment