Sunday, February 7, 2016

Mature Fashion: Optimal Eating Plans

Greetings to all;;


I have been inspired by Tonya to take on the task of losing a little more weight to get down to my ideal weight, especially since I know a weight loss will help me control my blood sugar levels.; I need to lose between 5 and 10 pounds to get there (just tried to weigh myself and the blasted battery is dead, but I know it is no more than 10 and at least 5)

I really don't believe in diets, and as you can tell, I don't weigh myself very often; but I am going to pay more attention to my food and exercise choices until I reach my goal. (Tonya, if you have lost 50 pounds, surely I can lose 10% of that!)  Of course, I will start out by being even more conscious of food portions, especially in the foods that I know increase blood sugar levels (odd,  they are the same ones that cause one to gain weight, yet so many people still say they have no responsibility for their diabetes (type 2, of course)). All the breads are lethal to me, although my choices are always "healthy".  I will also be very frugal with pastas, rices, and all refined grains, although I will try and substitute quinoa, couscous, wild rice, etc. when I do eat the grains. (I actually like all of them, but I still have to consciously think of making the substitution-pasta is sooooooo good!)

I have found in my own life that processed foods also play havoc with both my numbers and craving for certain foods.  I have maintained a pretty good level of control, but I am going to be a bit more strict.  I do not eat such things as prepared breakfast cereals, toaster pastries, sodas (diet or otherwise), off the shelf bakery products of any sort, any thing that says "fat free", any processed cheeses such as Velveeta, meats processed with nitrates, reduced fat anything except some dairy products, or farm raised fish, or "healthy" crackers or chips. 

Occasionally, I do have espresso drinks, and an occasional hamburger or pizza, and I avoid anything with trans fats or corn sugars,high fructose, especially.  Unfortunately, it is in so many things, that it is almost impossible to avoid if you have to eat anything you have not prepared for yourself.  I am vowing to myself that I will avoid these things even more consciously than I do now, because I am not quite as vigilant as I should be. I am careful about sugar of all sorts, using Stevia or Monk fruit powders when possible.  I avoid any artificial sugar based on what I am continually reading about the results of reliable health studies.

I am also vowing (to self) to make sure I am eating walnuts or almonds every day and making sure I have at least two cups of dark greens, one cup of raw or steamed or stir fried vegetables everyday, and although I never drink fruit juices, I try to eat three servings of fruit every day.  I am also trying to make sure I have two cups of tea (1 green) every day, 1 cup of beans of some form, some cooked tomato and mushroom, and some raw onion and garlic in some form every day. I also have four squares of very dark chocolate (82% cacao, Trader Joe's) every day, which, sigh, I am going to try to reduce to 2 squares.  I also try to have 4 ozs of dark red wine every evening with dinner, if possible.

I also know that I have to limit my dairy foods such as cheese, yogurt, and ice creams (organic only) to minimum portions (I know I have them a little too often,) and additionally, limit a bit more the healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, and even my grass fed meats and free range eggs to no more than a combined total of 7 times a week (the average is 25 servings-the high cost makes this a bit easier to regulate!!).  Over consumption of these items always produce an increase in my blood sugar levels, plus, being a high risk potential heart patient, I try to forestall the possibility. I am not a vegetarian, but I strongly believe that most of us need to reduce our intake of animal products of all sorts.  I actually try to substitute eggs for meat when practical. I need to increase the wild caught fish.  Although I like fish, sardines, anchovies, etc., I do not eat them often enough.  I am working on that.

I'm sure you can tell I have really become a food Nazi; during the three years I have been following this style of eating, my overall health has improved significantly, and even my doctor's remark on the decrease in blood sugar and weight stability.  I still have not reached the exercise routine level that I desire.  I do exercise but I don't have the routine I want to the level I think I need.

Tonya's results have been astounding with A1C sugar readings in the mid 5.  I am not quite there yet (I also think she takes more medicine than I do) but I want to get below 6 just using food a exercise as my medicine.  I am so close and Tonya's success has me motivated;  I have tests in April, so that is my target date for stabilized weight and blood sugar.  Please wish me good fortune........

..............Geneva............Rockmyages@aol.com



2 comments:

  1. I'm wishing good fortune to you and Tonya both. Tonya, that is "OUTSTANDING!!". YOU GO GIRL. I am also an a mission to lose 5 lbs. Please keep the information coming
    on what and what not to eat. Its a wealth of info. I always read your blog....Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ali; Isn't that wonderful for Tonya!! What are some of your favorite tricks for helping you lose weight? I am going to be posting my eating and exercise journal at the end of the week to monitor my results; I am curious to see how successful my "diet" will be in weight loss terms; I can already see that watching the portion control is something I need to increase vigilance. I would love information on the steps you are taking..

    ReplyDelete