Monday, January 18, 2016

Mature Fashion: Rocking success !!

Greetings to all Stylinistas and Fashionistas;


I am so excited this morning to "shout it out" for one of my readers; as of this morning she has lost a total of 50.7 pounds; she sent a picture to me and she looks fantastic!  I recently posted to "Rockmyrole.blogspot.com" an article on events such as losing a great deal of weight that would require building a wardrobe almost from scratch.; 'anonymous' is now joyfully styling those 'costumes' using the core capsules method I mentioned in the post.

Of course, I asked 'anonymous' how she did it, especially since she obviously lost some of this over the holidays, the most difficult period of the year.  She responded that ' lifestyle changes, no specific diet was responsible. ..(She) drastically reducing breads, pastas, and starches, smaller portions', and concentrating on lean proteins.  She also revealed that water was her "go to" when she started to feel hungry. and she chose fruits and veggies high in water content.

I am thrilled to "shout out" this diet has a very good chance of succeeding (providing she gets the willing support of her inner circle of friends and family).  The Lifestyle changes, not rigid diets that are temporary solutions , are usually much more successful.  Anonymous will also face many challenges to her oath .(she swears she will never regain all that weight) She knows she will face struggles along the way.  I hope she will address stress reduction strategies to help her with weight control.  She is also a member of the 'sandwich' generation who provides a great deal of support to a mother with a serious and chronic disability and is a significant care giver to her grandchildren.  

I mentioned a little earlier the importance of support of her success by the members of her inner circle; unfortunately, a negative side effect of this type of achievement is all too often 'sabotage'.   As you know, I have lived a long time (and certainly hope to do so for a while more).  In my own personal life I have experienced friends who have divorced spouses because the spouse was so threatened by changes from 'ugly duckling' to the 'princess bride'. I have known (a very close and dear person) who experienced the "Days of Wine and Roses", and resumed an alcoholic existence after a few years of sobriety because her husband (a functional alcoholic) wanted a drinking partner.  I have heard repeatedly stories (and have experienced it firsthand) such as a person who began a strict diet and was given a rare box of chocolates by her spouse, or many similar circumstances far too many to relate.  Usually, the sabotage is subtle; purchasing fattening foods they know is craved, 'forgetting' dietary choices, etc.  I feel that sometimes a friend feels personally threatened when a diet is successful (if she is successful I feel pressure to do the same?) I have also yet to meet a person who suffered alcohol addiction and stayed sober who has not related to me the experience of  a "friend" encouraging them to " just have one, one drink won't hurt you".  Anonymous has diabetes.  Her health and quality is most likely going to be affected by her resolution.  

I began this blog because I have 'been there, done that" myself; I let myself go for a period of several years in circumstances very similar to 'anonymous'.  Although I have a family history of diabetes and was under a great deal of stress during those years, I firmly believe that my weight gain of 50+ pounds is what tipped my health into diabetes.  I have been in control for the last decade,  During that time I have experienced almost all of the negative "encouragement" that Anonymous might face.(I believe she has already experienced at least one based on her communication) I know firsthand the importance of truly supporting our friends and family while they try and "rock Age".  I want to end this post by encouraging every one to support their friends and family in self improvement efforts.  Most importantly, please help oneself improve by beginning or maintaining a healthful diet, stress reduction program, skin care, and exercise program.

Let's make 2016 the best year yet....Geneva.....rockmyages@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment