Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Mature Fashion: New Year Diet Tune-Up


Camel uniform with accessories
Happy New Year, Stylinistas and Fashionistas;

Most of us have had a bit too much of holiday "goodies", meaning too much sugar, too much dairy products, too much unhealthy fats, and too much  processed foods of all types.

Now that the "twelve days of Christmas" are over (December 25 - to St. Stephen's Day, January 6) we should have a lot less temptation. I know that I am getting back on track now that I have used up all the frozen and refrigerated left-overs.

I am getting back on track by returning to the following regimen: I try not to have these foods more than 1 serving per week: red meat of any sort, cheese,(one of my hardest challenges) or desserts. I have no foods fried in any oil except olive or very occasionally, pure organic butter. I never use vegetable or corn oil;  no shark, swordfish, or tuna at all. (too much omega 6 or mercury). All dairy products I consume are low fat organic and I try to limit milk consumption to tea or coffee additives. I rarely drink any form of carbonated beverage.  All of the above steps are ones I have researched and are recommended by well respected heart doctors and associations.

Foods that I am trying to make sure I have at least two to three times per week include wild caught (not farmed-farmed are fed with corn or soy products) fish (Alaskan salmon, Pacific halibut, Rainbow Trout, sardines, anchovies) and free range chickenand .  I also eat eggs from free range chickens. I actually like all of those, but I haven't made enough effort to actually follow those suggestions except for veggie laden omelettes; a resolution for this year.  I am also trying to increase my consumption of  carrots, artichokes, green beans, peas, and other vegetables. My consumption of fruit and salad vegetables is more than adequate, including grapes, citrus fruits, and apples. I am trying to add more berries and stone fruits (peaches, plums, etc.) as they contain even more nutrients.

Foods I try to have every day include two cups dark leafy greens,especially spinach, (organic, if possible) 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup hard nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts)  and seeds, 2 to 4 cups black or green tea (working on this as green tea is not my favorite), two or more cups raw or lightly steamed vegetables, at least 1/2 cup whole cooked legumes or beans every day, 1/4 cup berries, 1/4 cup whole grains, especially oats, flax, and chia.  I try consume all this by having at least 5 smoothies a week (either veggie types like gazpacho or yogurt types with fruits, nuts, seeds and stevia). I also try to have 4 oz of red wine or red grapes.

I also try to have one  oz of 72%+ chocolate, a little garlic, a little mushrooms, some cooked tomatoes, some cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc) peppers, raw onion, and spices, especially ginger, cinnamon, tumeric, and fresh  herbs everyday. (all these recommendations are taken in part from Drs. Mark Hyman, Joel Fuhrman, Steven Masley, and Robert Lustig; all books obtainable through Amazon-I thoroughly recommend them).

I know this sounds a bit boring, but it is really rather easy to make delicious foods that include all these healthy ingredients and mix them up enough to satisfy variety.  Now almost every cookbook, web-site, and health site have great recipes.The only downside is that it takes a lot of time and everything is made from scratch, but if you like to cook you can make wonderful meals using healthy ingredients.  I am starting my fourth year of this regime and I would never go back to my old way of eating; one that I thought at the time was rather healthy.  I never met a carb I didn't like and I love desserts.  I still have both (carbs and desseerts) and eat delicious foods.  It really is true that you will not want the processed sugars and unhealthy fats after you have eaten healthy for a while.  The biggest problem is finding foods you want; I am still working on not leaving my house without appropriate foods to snack on or eat.

Today I have made a large batch of marinara sauce and a bean/brown rice/vegetable dish that I truly love.  This is really the first week that I am back to eating the way I like and that likes me. (My own blood sugar has been higher than I like over the holidays, but I am now back on track).  I am having to work at getting appropriate exercise because we have a steady flow of rain (Yeah!) now.  I am doing a lot of "housework aerobics" to try and compensate, but it looks like I am not doing enough based on blood sugar levels.  I hope that my next post will report I am back on track!!

Feeling good will keep us looking good.........Geneva...Rockmyages@aol.com

5 comments:

  1. That is great advice!!! I too am starting a regimen. I just put on a huge pan of broccoli, carrots, green beans, lots of garlic...YUM. Stir frying in olive oil. I'm steaming red quinoa in my rice cooker. I live with 3 men (husband, son and grandson), well they eat here anyway. Its kinda hard if you don't have these things prepared ahead of time, not to dig into their fat, fat, fat,meals, especially if your cooking the meals,. Any way Love your blog . Keeps me on my toes....Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ali; It keeps me on MY toes!! I am glad it helps you to; that is what this blog is about; the sharing of information and to give support to each other. I have a few friends who have been sharing similar information. I am going to try the same recipe. Another of my readers has shared with me that she has lost several pounds just reading the blog. Not so much that the information was new to her, but it reminded her of things she could do to help herself.

    I am going to try the same combination you posted; it does sound yummy. I usually use cooked brown rice that I buy frozen at TJs. I halve the portion envelope and use that where you use quinoa. Please keep sharing your healthy diet tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the above mentioned things sound yummy! Maybe toss in a recipe occasionally? ��I have been overweight or obese for the majority of my life. As a teenager I was active and didn't have a problem but with marriage came the added pounds. You know the old saying "the way to a man's heart is thru his stomach". So as a "good" wife I baked and cooked my heart out. I also ate everything right along with him. I am 5'7.5 and at one point I weighed 263+. At the end of May 2015 I went into the hospital for 10 days with a multitude of things wrong. I had been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic approximately 15 yrs ago (it runs in my family strongly). I was out of control and when they started me on insulin shots I knew something had to change so I have implemented a lot of Geneva's ways and step by step I am happy to say as of today I am down 50.2 lbs.I have went from a 22-24 down to a 12. I feel better going into my 50's than in my 40's. And btw my sugar levels are 5.2 or 75-120 area ��So if anyone is struggling don't give up, take it one day at time and don't do a "diet" try a lifestyle...your body will thank you for it. Sorry if I too over Geneva. Recipes, recipes....😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more or have said it better; your success story does you credit. You said the magic words in "lifestyle change". Although my success is not as dramatic as yours, it is close enough. I have been successfully managing my type two diabetes for approximately 10 of the 20 years I have had it. I give full credit to Drs Mark Hyman, S. Masley, Joel Fuhrman, and Robert Lustig for their books and PBS lectures. All strongly recommend the changes you have been following, abhor the use of processed foods and the proliferation of refined sugar and attribute them to the explosion of both obesity and type II diabetes.

    I am not a doctor, but following their advice surly works for me...continue to "rock your fitness" Well done!!

    ReplyDelete