Saturday, January 9, 2016

Mature Fashion: Back on Track!

At home uniform (necklace not shown)
More Happy New Year!!


I am thrilled to say this blog has helped me to keep my diabetes numbers more manageable during this past holiday season! It helped in two ways; the same way recording in a journal every day the foods that I eat, and keeping a diary of the times and value of my blood sugar levels helps keep awareness of what is being consumed.  My blood sugar numbers were back on track to a reasonable 115.  (my target level is 105, and the unacceptable level for me is anything over 140.)  Unfortunately, my average numbers for the past six weeks have been closer to 140 than 106!.

Anyway, with the new season, I am resolving to be more diligent in keeping to my diet and exercise routines in spite of the much needed rain and not so needed cold spell.

Of course, the largest culprit to the rather long holiday period between Halloween and St. Stephens is the prevalence of sugar (or sugar substitute) in our diets. EVERY thing has sugar!! 

Most health professionals recommend no more than 10% of our calories should come from sugar although most Americans consume two to three times that amount.  It has been acknowledged by many health professionals that refined sugar is as addictive as many drugs and has many of the same side effects such as "brain fog".  I firmly believe this statement to be a fact. 

It is not too effective for most people to "quit cold turkey", it simply does not work for most people; the craving for sweets is just too strong.  Artificial sweeteners do not solve the problem because it does not eliminate the chemical dependency and resulting cravings.  One tip I have read recently is to begin a gradual withdrawal program.  

One such program suggests alternating sugarless days and a measured reduction of sugar on those days it is consumed. (I have found that a gradual reduction of sugar worked very well for me.  I have found that I can no longer tolerate overly sweet desserts, jams, etc.). These same programs suggest eating more fruit, at least two to three servings per day to help withdrawal for processed sugar. After success in alternating sugarless days and reducing processed sugar during the days she can have it, it is further recommended one goes for two days off and one day on until one is able to withdraw from processed sugar completely.

 It is also suggested that artificial sugars be replaced with Stevia (liquid form), and that we try to get enough sleep.  A study conducted by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine reported that sleep deprivation increased the body's dependency on sugar. It is also recommended that absolutely no product containing high fructose corn syrup is consumed.

As usual, not being a medical doctor, I recommend consulting your health care professional before taking part in any program; although my own experience is anecdotal, I have found it works for me!! 

......................Geneva...........................Rockmyages@aol.com




No comments:

Post a Comment