Thursday, July 28, 2016

Mature Fashion: Another Quick morning routine

All of us have experienced the unexpected obstacle to our best laid plans for going to  an exercise class.  I know that I can "be prevented" from going to the gym fairly easily. (in other words, obstacles, although legitimate, supersede going to the gym!)  For example, a  long time friend who I have been playing phone tag with called just as I was leaving the house.  I answered the phone, had our catch-up conversation.... for over an hour!  I had on my gym clothes, and fully intended to make up the exercise (45 minutes of mixed strength training, stretching, and aerobic- the Jane Fonda DVD for seniors) but, somehow or another, I did not "find the time" to make up the exercise. I do, however, usually manage to spend at least five minutes doing whatever exercise routine I am doing.

I recently read an article that I want to pass on to others, and keep a reminder for myself that provided  an alternative to my fall-back AARP routine that I have shared in the past. (that one takes only 15 minutes and is a series of 6 exercise movements). Unfortunately, if I do not complete the routine, I have only exercised the first movements.  I am going to share one with you a maintenance routine that takes only 5 minutes and will allow exercising all of the body. I find it a great "fall-back" routine when I have missed a class or have not managed my AARP program.   Here is the routine that I obtained from a friend who teaches an exercise class:

- march in place for 30 seconds, bringing your knees as high as possible-then rest for 30 seconds.

- perform squats for 30 seconds (whatever number you can manage during the 30 seconds-remember to keep knees "soft"  and spread legs slightly apart)-then rest for 30 seconds.
-bending at the waist and keeping the back flat, elbows close to the body, "row" for 30 seconds.  Rest for 30 seconds.
-lying flat on the floor, using legs, "bicycle" for 30 seconds.  Rest for 30 second.
-lying flt on the floor, hand behind the head, raise head and legs making a "v" for 30 seconds-rest for 30 seconds.

 I like having more than one routine because I can always find time for one of SOME length!! That way I have no excuses for not doing anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment